Monday, November 10, 2008

Will I ever learn?

I need to stop reading into things so much and start taking more at face value. I should have known last night in the depachika that I was not buying cornbread, as the label lead me to believe, but bread with kernels of corn laced throughout. Corn bread. I was so looking forward to some bread of substance with my lentil soup when I got home tonight and what I got when I cut into the loaf was fluffy and slightly sweet bread with said inconsequential kernels of corn. I need to be more skeptical, this is Japan after all.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I still don't understand why they put corn in everything. Do you like it when it pops up unexpectedly in your salad/pizza/muffin? I don't get how Japanese people can eat all this corn. Why the craze?

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

It reminds me a little of the egg thing. Egg here, egg there, why not put an egg on EVERYTHING?!

I like corn chowder (if such a thing exists outside of Japan) and corn on the cob but not used as one would use an herb, sprinkling it on everything...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had exactly the same experience. I guess I'm one of the 10, maybe 20 Japanese who know real cornbread.